De château en château 

Nous pensons souvent que les montagnes ont été des frontières infranchissables entre les villages, mais des sentiers traversaient souvent ces formations rocheuses et unissaient ainsi les habitants, de part et d’autre. A travers cet itinéraire, nous souhaitons retisser le lien de fraternité qui a toujours rapproché les habitants de Maçanet de Cabrenys et Reynés, et par extension l’ensemble de la Catalogne du nord.

Audioguide : 
izi.travel/fr/b8e6-de-chateau-en-chateau/fr

Guides et cartes :
Randonnee-transfrontaliere-depliant.pdf
Randonnee-transfrontaliere-guide.pdf
Carte-randonnee-HD.pdf
Excursionisme-transfronterer-guia-catala.pdf

English traduction

CASTLE TO CASTLE

PATH FROM REYNÉS TO MAÇANET DE CABRENYS

Description of the Route

The ‘Castle to Castle’ path from Reynés to Maçanet de Cabrenys (Camí de Reynés a Maçanet de Cabrenys ‘De Castell a Castell’) is a town twinning route that links the villages of Reynés (altitude 260 m) and Maçanet de Cabrenys (altitude 370 m) by means of a 19 km signposted path.

Beginning from Maçanet, the route crosses the Salines Massif to the Pous Pass (1,239 m) and Roc de Fraussa and ends in the village of Reynés. It is a way to discover the Salines Massif and its cultural and natural heritage and by doing the route on foot you can get to know the history of this region and its landscapes and natural wealth a little better.

We often think that mountains are impassable borders between towns, but routes crossing the mountains linking the inhabitants on either side have often existed. The idea behind this route is to rediscover the friendship tie that has always existed between the peoples of Maçanet de Cabrenys and Reynés, and by extension, Northern Catalonia and l’Empordà.

Along the route, you will discover both places of enormous cultural interest, such as Cabrera castle, Salines sanctuary, Sant Vicenç church and Reynés castle, and habitats of enormous natural interest on this biological ascent where you will see the widely varied vegetation adapted to each altitude and their characteristic, still wild fauna. Terraces and woodcutter’s huts can be found along the path, witness to the economic activities that took place all over the mountain.

Coming from Reynés the path begins in la Creueta, the pass at the foot of Reynés castle, with the town hall to the west and Sant Vicenç church to the east. The 100-year-old evergreen oak near a magnificent meadow provides shade and shelter and is perfect for a picnic. You then go past the rectory and some houses and up a track that takes you past Reynés spring. A little bridge allows you to cross from one riverbank of the Llabó to the other. If you carry on up you get to Creu where you meet the centuries-old Ceret path, the old stones of which you can admire as you head towards the Roc neighbourhood and on to Can Nie, from where you go down to cross the Llabó riverbank again. You then walk up to the land belonging to the mediaeval farmhouses Avellà and Escarrabill. After crossing the track that goes to Mas Patau and Muntanyola, you get to la Copa, a ruined mediaeval farmhouse. The path carries on up and you find another ruined mountain farmhouse, Mas Nou. You finally reach the crest of the mountain where you follow the path coming from Amélie-Les-Bains.  You are now at Pera Bassa at an altitude of 1,000 m and you stay on the crest until you get to Roc de Fraussa. You can either climb up Roc de Fraussa, or you can go around it to go to Pous Pass and on to Salines sanctuary, Cabrera castle and Maçanet.

The path from Reynés to Maçanet already featured in the Reynés property register in 1911 as « Chemin vicinal nº 1 », although later on its exact route was lost and different paths were used to go to the neighbouring village. This ancestral path first became a cross-border route after the signing of the Pyrenees Agreement in 1659, but it also continued to be used to go to gatherings and festivals, to visit family, and so on. And the fact that it was a cross-border path also meant it started being used for other activities such as smuggling and fleeing from danger, persecutions and wars. Contraband complemented the inhabitants of Reynés and Maçanet’s incomes from agriculture and the talc mines until the middle of the twentieth century.

The Village of Maçanet de Cabrenys

Maçanet de Cabrenys is situated in the middle of a wide valley at the foot of Salines Massif in the extreme north-west of Alt Empordà at an altitude of 370 m. The urban centre was born under the protection of Sant Martí parish church, with the first references to the houses there found in documents from the twelfth century and known as Cellera. In 1271, it formed the walled space for the army and the hexagon-shaped castle. The Rocabertí family, barons of Cabrenys in Vallespir, were lords of the village from the fourteenth to the sixteenth centuries, which is why after 1440 ‘Cabrenys’ was added to the name to make it “Massaneto de Cabrenys”. The building is Romanic (s. XII-XIII ) and is most noted for its large façade door and the ironwork on it. In Vila square you can find the Society’s modernist building, and in the middle the 5-meter high Barra de Rotlan monument, an iron post crowned with a ring. A legend says that it was the hero Rotlan’s weapon, thrown from Cabrera castle once he no longer needed it while declaring, ‘Wherever my cane falls is where Maçanet de Cabrenys shall be’, but there are several indications to believe that it is the mediaeval lords’ gibbet or pillory.

The agricultural and sheep-herding activities that took place in the more than 50 farmhouses in the municipality has now almost disappeared, as has forestry. From the seventeenth to the nineteenth centuries, textiles and iron were major industries in the area, and in the nineteenth century the bottling cork industry also grew in importance with half a dozen factories in operation, causing a demographic shift that saw the population rise to 1, 876 inhabitants in the year 1860. For a hundred years smoking pipes were also manufactured there in a factory with 60 workers, which was then one of the biggest in the world, and was still in operation until 20 years ago. Talc mining was another important activity in the Salines mountains, also for about a century. Over the last few years, the disappearance of these traditional activities has raised awareness among the people of Maçanet about promoting their tourist offer, based on a myriad of attractions such as the mountain landscape, its well-conserved nature and woods and the local gastronomy.

The village of Reynés

Reiners is right in the heart of Vallespir, half way between the Mediterranean Sea and the Canigó mountain. The Tec, the county’s major river, crosses the municipality. On the left is Reiners bridge, nowadays the nerve centre of the area. A 3-kilometre stretch of motorway takes you to the village, the historical centre that emerged around the 250-metre high castle. If you carry on up the paths and tracks the mountain reaches a height of 1, 450 meters, marking the border with Maçanet de Cabrenys. The farms scattered throughout the territory, some of which are ruined and others still inhabited, are the distinctive feature of Reiners. The traditional economy has always been agriculture, complemented by small rural industries. With 1381 inhabitants, tourism is currently an important source of income for the village.

Dona cave, also known as Encantades cave, a small grotto (nowadays inside private property) 12 m long, which stretches along a calcareous layer from one end to the other. Studies of this narrow gallery have shown that it was used as a sepulchre during the Copper Age, which occurred at the end of the Neolithic and the beginning of the Metal Age (2800 – 2100 a.C. ). Various objects have been found there, including a button made of bone, a fair number of ornamental pieces made from shells, a small green stone axe, a bronze plaque and fragments of pottery.  The discovery of objects from both the Bronze Age and Antiquity demonstrates that the cave was also frequented during those periods, and that the tombs have become scattered over thousands of years. Similar discoveries were made in Font Calda cave located in the south-west part of the village.

Thus, metalworking has been one of the differential characteristics of Reiners for thousands of years. The first techniques for producing iron consisted of reduction in a low oven, which was made of clay and in which coal and the mineral were mixed to obtain a metal mass called ore, from which they made iron ingots. This method was used from the beginning of the Iron Age to the fourteenth century. Nonetheless, the impossibility of reusing the slag due to its excessive quantity of silicon, meant that huge losses were generated. This slag (smooth, black metal remains) are often found in the mountains around the village.

Just before Roc de Fraussa, the path passes by an impressively sized snow well. The use of ice became widespread between the sixteenth and the nineteenth centuries for different ends including medicine, food preserving and making deserts. The snow was compacted to make it into ice inside the wells, which were carefully constructed to make them thermally insulated, and were normally covered with a dome with a northern-facing reloading hole. More than one hundred constructions of this kind have been recorded in the Eastern Pyrenees. In the spring time, the ice was transported to the villages and hospitals to be sold. This activity, which was an important source of extra income for the inhabitants of this region, started to wane in the middle of the nineteenth century when the artificial ice industry took off, disappearing completely at the beginning of the Second World War.

Reynés castle

The first reference to Reynés castle dates back to the twelfth century. There is no doubt that after this period it was linked to a ‘sagrera’, a fortified space considered as sacred which, in this case and according to a fifteenth century text, had three gates and at least one tower. The Sant Vicenç church, first mentioned in 1027, was also probably on the same spot. In the twelfth century, the lordship of Reiners was under the authority of the Serrallonga lords, a powerful family from Alt Vallespir. In 1267, before going to the Eighth Crusade from which he would not return, Bernard-Hug de Serrallonga ceded the castle to his wife, Gueralda. Later it came to belong to the Rocaberti family through Beatriu de Serrallonga, viscount of Rocabertí wife. This family ruled Maçanet de Cabrenys, among other places, and held high positions in the court of the count-kings in Barcelona.                                               

The castle’s location may at first seem odd, but it was in fact strategically built in the centre of an efficiently exploited area between the iron quarries and the ironmongers’ workshops. Moreover, from there the pasturing routes to the peaks of the Albera could also be watched.

The ruins of the fortification, located on top of the hill looking out over the village, form a quadrangle of approximately 140 m². Nowadays, the water deposit for Reiners can be found on the centre of the platform. The western wall, 17 m long and approximately 4 m high, is the most well-preserved part with its crack-like holes that could have been defensive positions. Some archaeological studies that started in 2018 have shown that it was built in different consecutive phases and they have also found buried mediaeval crossbeams and floors.

Studies have also been carried out on the spot where the church probably stood, although it has not yet been confirmed that the space was used for religious purposes. The building is at a lower level than the castle and rises as a space in the shape of a quadrangle measuring 6 x 5 m, bordered to the west by a rocky wall and on the other sides by low, uneven walls. The ruins of a pavement have been uncovered on top of an older layer where an unusual coin from the beginning of the twelfth century and belonging to Girard I, count of Rosselló, has been found. The church that stands there nowadays is from the seventeenth century and houses a magnificent baroque altarpiece.

Cabrera castle

Roca de Cabrera is cited in documents from 1003, 1074 and 1095, but the first mention of the castle comes from 1098 in the Llibre Gran dels Feus: Guillem Bernat, son of Arsendis, swore to Bernat II, count of Besalú, that he would take charge of Cabrera castle “castrum de Cabrera cum sua et cum omnibus pertinenciis”. Ownership of Cabrera and Maçanet castle went hand in hand. In 1221, the latter belonged to Beatriu d’Hortal, and in 1275 to her son, Mascarós.

In 1288, the castle was taken and destroyed by the French army. In 1330, Simó de Cabrera sold it along with the lordship of Maçanet to Lady Beatriu de Cabrenys, Serrallonga and Reynés, who rebuilt the walls and roofs of the fortress. In 1344, her son Guillem Galceran de Rocabertí took charge of the castle and in the property documents known as ‘capbreus’ he always features as lord of Cabrera.  El 1462, the French took control of the castle, and there they established a garrison of 15 men under the command of Captain Martin Durcayo. In 1497, Jaume Olivet lived in the castle under the orders of Pere de Rocabertí, baron of Cabrenys. Ownership of the castle then passed successively to the Paguera and Sorribes families through inheritance, but by 1689 the building was recorded as ruined.

It is located on the top of an 852 m high crag, which is only accessible from the north side. It occupied the entire peak, making it a magnificent watchtower of 189 square metres with a 76-metre perimeter. What remains of the fortress –  a cistern, the base of a square shaped tower and some 2 m high walls – rise up adjacent to the cliffs. Construction dates back to between the eleventh and the fourteenth centuries and the castle formed part of the border network of the countship of Besalú.

Salines sanctuary

The name Salines refers to the fact that this is where they gave salt to the pasturing animals. In 1271, the people from Maçanet built a chapel to the Mother of God there so that ‘lots of miracles would occur’. In 1275, a priest was instructed and later a hermitage was founded, after which it became a place of pilgrimage for the people of Empordà and Vallespir. Tradition says that the ancient image of the virgin was found by some shepherds and a bull in a nearby cave. The nineteenth century image was the work of the local sculptor Josep Verdaguer, but unfortunately it was stolen in 2011. The current one is an imitation of the previous one.

The building that stands there now, which houses the chapel, the hostelry and the refuge, is the result of some reforms carried out between the seventeenth and the twentieth centuries. Near the sanctuary you can find the Cova and Tres Raigs springs.

There are two popular gatherings in  Salines: one for Sant Isidre on 15th May or the nearest Sunday to this date, and the other for the Mother of God on the first Sunday in August.

Pous Pass

This border pass, located at an altitude of 1,239 m, is formed between Roc de la Graula (1,288 m) and the peak of Moixer Gros (1412 m). It separates the municipalities of Maçanet de Cabrenys and Ceret and crosses the path that leads to Reynés and Ceret, very well used for centuries by travellers, shepherds, muleteers and smugglers from both sides of the mountain.

There are two reasons why it is called Pous Pass: one because this is where the path passed that led to the three snow wells of Comú de Maçanet, located some 400 m to the west above Moixer spring, of which only the remains of one of them are preserved; and the other because at some 200 m on the north side there is the Comú de Ceret well, located near the path that goes to Fontfreda and still well preserved. These wells date back to the seventeenth century and snow was placed in them to be preserved and used to make drinks cold in the summer, for therapeutic ends and to supply the main towns of Empordà and Ceret. They were in use for two centuries. In 1969, the road that linked Alt Empordà and Vallespir, suitable for four-wheel drive vehicles, was extended as far as there.

Biodiversity

Habitats

Salines, together with its sister part on the northern side, is not an area heavily transited by naturalists and lovers of well-conserved natural spaces, which is why it an oasis of sought-after tranquillity difficult to find in other spaces. What is more, it presents a series of varied, well-conserved habitats ranging from forested zones to others with bushes and carpets of grasses, together with their particular fauna. All these elements are the ideal ingredients for wanting to come and visit and to learn while walking there.

Few could imagine that there would be such an interesting variety of vegetation in this little corner of the Pyrenees, ranging from Mediterranean woods to the more humid formations on the higher ground. What the mountain offers are vegetation tours; as the height above sea level changes so does the predominant vegetation, just as if you were travelling north through Europe with the different climates conditioning the types of vegetation that grow in each place.

On the lower part of the south side, the type of woodland we find here at the beginning of the route is predominantly cork oak (Quercus suber), a tree very similar to the evergreen oak (Quercus ilex) but with a sparser canopy and bark covered in cork. The two trees share characteristic species, but exploitation of the cork, which gives rise to glades and clearings, together with a canopy that lets more sunlight penetrate, means that they have clearly different habitats. Sometimes a little higher up, but generally sharing the same territory as the cork oak, we can find the mountain evergreen oak groves. Widely distributed, they grow on both the south and the north sides at the start of the path from Reynés. These evergreen woods with trees with small, hard leaves like the cork oaks’, is always a joy to behold. In terms of landscape, it is a continuous layer of trees of  between 5 m and 12 m, with large masses and abundant shade. The understory is made up of bushes and herbaceous species adapted to very shady conditions.

Higher up we find the red pine forests (Pinus sylvestris). This is a boreal-type pine forest comparable to those we can find in the dry interior valleys of the Alps. The trees grow to moderate heights of between 8 and 10 m. They usually form a continuous wood that covers maquis shrubland and bush or sometimes evergreen oak groves if the trees are low. Continuing with the pines, on the higher parts there are some zones with maritime pine woods (Pinus pinaster). This is clearly a Mediterranean type of wood, so it indisputably plays a secondary role. It is usually found in spots where there are heather and steppes, which form quite large masses. It seems that over time the tree-covered areas with predominantly maritime pines evolve into tree-covered heaths with red pines. We also find that like Austrian pine (Pinus nigra), this species has been much used over the years to repopulate eroded or heavily exploited areas. There is not usually a large variety of flora, the understory is usually bare, and we can only find some sparse grasses. Another habitat we can find in the group of pines, but on the higher part of the massif, is the mountain pine wood (Pinus uncicata). They are not very abundant, quite open and adapted to a cold environment. It is a permanent community that is very important in the landscape.

On the north side of the path going down towards Reynés if we take the path from south to north, we find mountainside fir trees (Abies alba). These woods are mostly dimly lit and humid thanks to the shade provided by the flat branches of the silver fir and their dark coloured leaves. They are tall trees that can grow to between 15 and 50 m high. The understory is usually covered with herbaceous plants and mosses. The soil is deep with a lot of humus, and it stays very humid throughout the year.

Among the fagaceae, we can find the downy oak (Quercus humilis) woodlands. This is a type of wood that is not very high, reaching between 6 and 20 m. Although there is predominantly downy oak trees in these woods, we can also find other species of trees like the red pine and the birch (Betula pendula). They are found at an altitude of between 500 m and 1, 200 m on gently sloping land. They do not usually have a dense appearance due to their being heavily exploited.

Related to the oak family, we find the sweet chestnut (Castanea sativa). The chestnut tree is not originally from our region but from the eastern Mediterranean, although it is now considered as part of our forestry landscape. They were first planted by man to be used for wood and fruit, replacing the forest communities that were there before them. They form dense woods with a varied understory, and they have been heavily exploited. Another habitat in the fagaceae family, which we can find on both the north and south sides of the route, is the beech woods. This is a deciduous wood where the beech trees (Fagus silvatica) form a high, dense canopy that creates a cool, dimly lit environment, with an empty understory that is not much more than a carpet of grass due to this lack of light. Our region is in the far south of the distribution area of this species, so beech woods are not common here.

Other important habitats that must be highlighted, despite the fact that they too are not as common, are the ash woods, the alder woods and the common broom heaths. The first group includes some deciduous mountain species, among which are the ash (Fraxinus excelsior), the common hazel (Corylus avellana) and boxwood (Buxus sempervirens). The understory is usually made up of species typical of beech and oak woods, communities that the common hazel is in contact and mixed with. We can also often find various other deciduous trees like the silver birch (Betula pendula), the chestnut tree (Castanea sativa), aspens (Populus tremula) and oaks (Quercus sp). Regarding the alder woods, this type of wood becomes established next to rivers and streams with a continuous, superficial flow but not exposed to flooding. It reaches considerable heights of between 6 and 15 m, the dominant species is the common alder (Alnus glutinosa), and while the tree-covered layer is not large it has a rich variety of herbaceous plants that flower in the spring. Many of the herbaceous species found there are typical of beech and oak woods. Other trees such as the ash can also be seen there.

The common broom heaths (Sarothamnus scoparius) form dense shrubland difficult to penetrate, reaching a height of up to 2 metres. They can be found on the highest parts of the massif in areas where there are no trees. It is spectacular when it flowers as the heaths becomes covered with bright yellow flowers.

Fauna

Now you are familiar with the most important habitats you can find along the route, we must point out the species we can see there provided we walk with our ears and eyes open waiting for the presents that nature gives us.

The mammals most frequently found in the oak groves on both sides are the common genet (Genetta genetta), the wild boar (Sus scrofa), the fox (Vulpes vulpes) and the badger (Meles meles). Among the birds we can name the great spotted woodpecker (Dendrocopos major), the wood nuthatch (Sitta europaea), the jay (Garrulus glandarius), the crested tit (Lophophanes cristatus), the wren (Troglodytes troglodytes) and the short-toed treecreeper (Certhia brachydactyla). The Montpellier snake (Malpolon monspessulanus) is one of the species that inhabits this very Mediterranean region. As you go along the ever-ascending path the vegetable communities change, and once you are at Salines you start to see beech trees and different pine plantations. Here you are at almost 1, 000 m above sea level and you can feel the peace. Among the mammals here there are the beech marten (Martes foina), the European roe deer (Capreolus capreolus), a large population of squirrels (Sciurus vulgaris) and different species of cave-dwelling bats that nest in bats’ refuges. Regarding the birds, we find species such as the common bullfinch (Pyrrhula pyrrhula), the black woodpecker (Dryocopus martrius), the cuckoo (Cuculus canorus), the Eurasian sparrowhawk (Accipiter nisus) and the coal tit (Periparus ater). Among the amphibians we can name the fire salamander (Salamandra salamandra), and among the reptiles we can find the smooth snake (Coronella austríaca) and the western green lizard (Lacerta bilineata).

When you get to the area of Pous Pass , the dominant species on the south side is the beech, and this species along with some fir trees stay with us as we start to go down the north side. These highest areas have become a refuge for fauna and we can see species that are hard to spot in more humanized places, or that have a small distribution in the territory, such as the European wildcat (Felis silvestris), the European pine marten (Martes martes) and the mouflon (Ovis musimon). Some Pyrenean chamois (Rupicapra pyrenaica) and red deer (Cervus elaphus) have also been seen in the area. Among the birds we can find the dunnock (Prunella modularis), the rock bunting (Emberiza cia), the common rock thrush (Monticola saxatilis) and the common raven (Corvus corax). The common wall lizard (Podarcis muralis) is one of the interesting reptiles we can find among the rocks.

Geology

From Reiners to Maçanet de Cabrenys the path goes through different geological formations related to the axial chain of the Pyrenees. At the beginning, the Reiners depression is located in the secondary area of the Amelie syncline, where we can find limestone, loam, ceramic and chalk. This land is limited by two large faults, the foothills and the Pyrenees. The path then goes up mica schist rocks with localised carbon-coloured Cipolin marble veins: Mas Querol marble is white with grey veins. The axial part of the Roc de Fraussa chain is made up of gneiss, and further on the path again crosses mica schist rocks, which in places also contain marble. The small village of Maçanet de Cabrenys is located on granite with granite sand.

About the project

The ‘Castle to Castle’ path from Reynés to Maçanet de Cabrenys (Camí de Reynés a Maçanet de Cabrenys ‘De Castell a Castell’) is a cooperation project launched by the town councils of  Reynés and Maçanet de Cabrenys, with funding from the Ajuts Eurodistricte for the Catalan Trans-border Space of the Government of Catalonia (Casa de Perpinyà) and the Eastern Pyrenees Department.

Pere Roura Sabà collaborated with the project by writing the historical content and drawing the pictures of Cabrera castle, as did Serge Arnaudiès, Jacques Baylard, Montserrat Cailà, Daniel Canet, Dikki Caritg, Jean-Paul Escudero, Jean Le Guillou, Jean Le Potier, Magali Mas-Ferrari, Charles Novero, Jean Jacques Serra and Jacques Sicre of the Reynés Paths and Heritage Commission (Comissió Camins i Patrimoni de Reynés). Christian Solà collaborated with the geology, Etienne Roudier and David Maso did the archaeological study of Reynés, Neus Oliver was the graphic designer and Sarah Davies the translator. Xavier Soler, Marcel Gutinell and Estel Turbau carried out the territorial fauna and flora study. Marcel Juanchich and Joseph Hiard of the Rosselló Ornithological Group did the nature study.

A big thank you to all of you. Thanks to the Communauté de Communes du Vallespir, Comité Départemental de la Randonnée Pédestre des Pyrénées-Oriantales, ACCA de Reynés, and to the affected owners.

Labels

Label 1A. Reynés

Information

The ‘Castle to Castle’ path from Reynés to Maçanet de Cabrenys (Camí de Reynés a Maçanet de Cabrenys ‘De Castell a Castell’) is a town twinning route that links the villages of Reynés (altitude 196 m) and Maçanet de Cabrenys (altitude 370 m) by means of a 19 km signposted path.

The route, which crosses the Pous Pass (1,239 m) passing by Roc de Fraussa (1,421 m) and ending in the village of Maçanet, is a way to discover the Salines Massif and its cultural and natural heritage and by doing the route on foot you can get to know the history of this region and its landscapes and natural wealth a little better.

We often think that mountains are impassable borders between towns, but routes crossing the mountains linking the inhabitants on either side have often existed. The idea behind this route is to rediscover the friendship tie that has always existed between the peoples of Maçanet de Cabrenys and Reynés, and by extension, l’Empordà.

Along the route, you will discover both places of enormous cultural interest, such as Reynés castle, Sant Vicenç church, Salines sanctuary and Cabrera castle, and habitats of enormous natural interest on this biological ascent where you will see the widely varied vegetation adapted to each altitude and their characteristic, still wild fauna.

Technical information

.Distance: 19 Km

Accumulated gradient to Roc del Comptador/Roc de Fraussa: 1464 m.

Difficulty: Medium/High

Maximum altitude: 1,450 m (Roc del Comptador/Roc de Fraussa)

Services:

  • Salines Sanctuary restaurant
  • Restaurants in Maçanet de Cabrenys
  • Accommodation in Maçanet de Cabrenys
  • Restaurants in Reynés (La Farga and el Pont)
  • Aloha de Reynés campsite (La Farga)

Safety recommendations.

  • Wear suitable clothing for the time of year.
  • Wear comfortable, mountain-walking footwear.
  • Take enough food and water.
  • Mapping and/or GPS and mobile phone.
  • Emergency telephone number: 112

Label 1B. Maçanet Village

Information.

The ‘Castle to Castle’ path from Reynés to Maçanet de Cabrenys (Camí de Reynés a Maçanet de Cabrenys ‘De Castell a Castell’) is a town twinning route that links the villages of Reynés (altitude 196 m) and Maçanet de Cabrenys (altitude 370 m) by means of a 19 km signposted path.

The route, which crosses the Salines Massif to the Pous Pass (1,239 m) passing by Roc del Comptador (1,450 m) and Roc de Fraussa (1,421 m) and ending in the village of Reynés, is a way to discover the Salines Massif and its cultural and natural heritage and by doing the route on foot you can get to know the history of this region and its landscapes and natural wealth a little better.

We often think that mountains are impassable borders between towns, but routes crossing the mountains linking the inhabitants on either side have often existed. The idea behind this route is to rediscover the friendship tie that has always existed between the peoples of Maçanet de Cabrenys and Reynés, and by extension, Northern Catalonia.

Along the route, you will discover both places of enormous cultural interest, such as Cabrera castle, Salines sanctuary, Sant Vicenç church and Reynés castle, and habitats of enormous natural interest on this biological ascent where you will see the widely varied vegetation adapted to each altitude and their characteristic, still wild fauna

Technical data.

Distance: 19 Km

Accumulated gradient to Roc del Comptador/Roc de Fraussa: 1264 m.

Difficulty: Medium/High

Maximum height: 1,450 m (Roc del Comptador/Roc de Fraussa)

Services:

  • Salines Sanctuary restaurant
  • Restaurants in Maçanet de Cabrenys
  • Accommodation in Maçanet de Cabrenys
  • Restaurants in Reynés (La Farga and el Pont)
  • Aloha de Reynés campsite (La Farga)

Safety recommendations.

  • Wear suitable clothing for the time of year.
  • Wear comfortable, mountain-walking footwear.
  • Take enough food and water.
  • Mapping and/or GPS and mobile phone.
  • Emergency telephone number: 112

Label 2. Cabrera castle

Historical information

Roca de Cabrera is cited in documents from 1003, 1074 and 1095, but the first mention of the castle comes from 1098 in the Llibre Gran dels Feus: Guillem Bernat, son of Arsendis, swore to Bernat II, count of Besalú, that he would take charge of Cabrera castle “castrum de Cabrera cum sua et cum omnibus pertinenciis”. Ownership of Cabrera and Maçanet castle went hand in hand. In 1221, the latter belonged to Beatriu d’Hortal, and in 1275 to her son, Mascarós.

In 1288, the castle was taken and destroyed by the French army. In 1330, Simó de Cabrera sold it along with the lordship of Maçanet to Lady Beatriu de Cabrenys, Serrallonga and Reynés, who rebuilt the walls and roofs of the fortress. In 1344, her son Guillem Galceran de Rocabertí took charge of the castle and in the property documents known as ‘capbreus’ he always features as lord of Cabrera.  El 1462, the French took control of the castle, and there they established a garrison of 15 men under the command of Captain Martin Durcayo. In 1497, Jaume Olivet lived in the castle under the orders of Pere de Rocabertí, baron of Cabrenys. Ownership of the castle then passed successively to the Paguera and Sorribes families through inheritance, but by 1689 the building was recorded as ruined.

It is located on the top of an 852 m high crag, which is only accessible from the north side. It occupied the entire peak, making it a magnificent watchtower of 189 square metres with a 76-metre perimeter. What remains of the fortress –  a cistern, the base of a square shaped tower and some 2 m high walls – rise up adjacent to the cliffs. Construction dates back to between the eleventh and the fourteenth centuries and the castle formed part of the border network of the countship of Besalú.

Natural information

The landscape around us is made up of woodlands of mountain cork oak (Quercus suber), a tree with small, hard leaves that makes the landscape always green, due to the fact that it is deciduous.

The image we get is of a continuous layer of trees with a large mass of oak woods that have a well-developed canopy that provides abundant shade. The trees, at between 5 m and 12 m, are not very high. The understory is made up of bushes and herbaceous species adapted to very shady conditions, with species such as the green olive  (Philyrea latifolia), genista (Genista triflora), honeysuckle (Lonicera implexa), the common ivy (Hedera helix), black spleenwort (Asplenium adiantum nigrum subsp. onopteris) and the white violet (Viola alba).

On the eastern side, we find a zone that is very different from the oak groves and is formed by the sweet chestnut (Castanea sativa). Although we consider the chestnut as one of our native trees, in fact it was not originally from our region but from the eastern Mediterranean. Nonetheless, we now consider it a typical species of our forest landscape. They were first planted by man to be used for wood and fruit on land where the existing forest communities has already been felled.

The mammals most frequently found in the oak groves on both sides are the common genet (Genetta genetta), the wild boar (Sus scrofa), the fox (Vulpes vulpes) and the badger (Meles meles). Among the birds we can name the great spotted woodpecker (Dendrocopos major), the wood nuthatch (Sitta europaea), the jay (Garrulus glandarius), the crested tit (Lophophanes cristatus), the wren (Troglodytes troglodytes) and the short-toed treecreeper (Certhia brachydactyla). The Montpellier snake (Malpolon monspessulanus) is one of the species that inhabits this very Mediterranean region.

Label 3. Les Salines

Historical information

The name Salines refers to the fact that this is where they gave salt to the pasturing animals. In 1271, the people from Maçanet built a chapel to the Mother of God there so that ‘lots of miracles would occur’. Un 1275, a priest was instructed and later a hermitage was founded, after which it became place of pilgrimage for the people of Empordà and Vallespir. Tradition says that the ancient image of the virgin was found by some shepherds and a bull in a nearby cave. The nineteenth century image was the work of the local sculptor Josep Verdaguer, but unfortunately it was stolen in 2011. The current one is an imitation of the previous one.

The building that stands there now, which houses the chapel, the hostelry and the refuge, is the result of some reforms carried out between the seventeenth and the twentieth centuries. Near the sanctuary you can find the Cova and Tres Raigs springs.

There are two popular gatherings in  Salines: one for Sant Isidre on 15th May or the nearest Sunday to this date, and the other for the Mother of God on the first Sunday in August

Nature information

Around Salines refuge we can find different woodland communities that make an interesting mosaic. On the one hand we have the beech tree woods, a deciduous wood where the beech trees (Fagus sylvatica) form a high, dense canopy. Following the steams, like the one of Salines itself, we find  riverside communities with many common ash trees (Fraxinus excelsior), aspens (Populus tremula) and the common hazel (Corulus avellana). On the other hand, in what used to be fields of feixes, we find non-European conifers that have been planted by man.

Here you are at almost 1, 000 m above sea level and you can feel the peace. Among the mammals here there are the beech marten (Martes foina), the European roe deer (Capreolus capreolus), a large population of squirrels (Sciurus vulgaris) and different species of cave-dwelling bats that nest in bats’ refuges. Regarding the birds, we find species such as the common bullfinch (Pyrrhula pyrrhula), the black woodpecker (Dryocopus martrius), the cuckoo (Cuculus canorus), the Eurasian sparrowhawk (Accipiter nisus) and the coal tit (Periparus ater). Among the amphibians we can name the fire salamander (Salamandra salamandra), and among the reptiles we can find the smooth snake (Coronella austríaca) and the western green lizard (Lacerta bilineata).

Label 4. Pous Pass

Historical information

This border pass, located at an altitude of 1,239 m, is formed between Roc de la Graula (1288 m) and the peak of Moixer Gros (1412 m). It separates the municipalities of Maçanet de Cabrenys and Ceret and crosses the path that leads Maçanet de Cabrenys to Reynés and Ceret, very well used for centuries by travellers, shepherds, muleteers and smugglers from both sides of the mountain.

There are two reasons why it is called Pous Pass: one because this is where the path passed that led to the three snow wells of Comú de Maçanet, located some 400 m to the west above Moixer spring, of which only the remains of one of them are preserved; and the other because at some 200 m on the north side there is the Comú de Ceret well, located near the path that goes to Fontfreda and still well preserved. These wells date back to the seventeenth century and snow was placed in them to be preserved and used to make drinks cold in the summer, for therapeutic ends and to supply the main towns of Empordà and Ceret. They were in use for two centuries. In 1969, the road that linked Alt Empordà and Vallespir, suitable for four-wheel drive vehicles, was extended as far as there.

Nature information

The dominant vegetation in this area of Pous Pass is the beech wood together with some rocky spaces and small open meadows. The beech (Fagus sylvatica) is a tree that forms large canopies of deciduous leaves that provide a cool, shaded environment. Due to this lack of light, the understudy becomes bare, and in comparison to other communities of vegetation, like the Mediterranean wood that we find in the lower part of  Salines, there are no communities of bushes, only a dense carpet of herbs. These herbs are normally bulbous or rhizomatous, they flower in the spring and they flourish thanks to the deep earth with large amounts of humus formed from dead leaves when the beech trees decompose. Our region is in the far south of the distribution area of this species, so beech woods are not common here.

These highest areas have become a refuge for fauna and we can see species that are hard to spot in more humanized places, or that have a small distribution in the territory, such as the European wildcat (Felis silvestris), the European pine marten (Martes martes) and the mouflon (Ovis musimon). Some Pyrenean chamois (Rupicapra pyrenaica) and red deer (Cervus elaphus) have also been seen in the area. Among the birds we can find the dunnock (Prunella modularis), the rock bunting (Emberiza cia), the common rock thrush (Monticola saxatilis) and the common raven (Corvus corax). The common wall lizard (Podarcis muralis) is one of the interesting reptiles we can find among the rocks.

Traducción al castellano

DE CASTILLO EN CASTILLO

CAMINO DE REYNÉS A MAÇANET DE CABRENYS

Descripción de la Ruta

El Camino de Reiners a Maçanet de Cabrenys « De Castillo a Castillo », es una ruta de hermandad que une los pueblos de Reiners (260 m de altitud) y Maçanet de Cabrenys (370 m de altitud) a lo largo de 19 km de camino señalizado.

El itinerario, empezando por Maçanet, atraviesa el Macizo de las Salinas hasta la Collada dels Pous (1239 m), el Roc de Fraussa y termina en el pueblo de Reiners. Es una propuesta para descubrir el Massis de les Salines y su patrimonio cultural y natural. Caminando podremos conocer un poco más la historia, su paisaje y la riqueza natural de este espacio.

Habitualmente creemos que las montañas han sido fronteras infranqueables entre los pueblos, pero han existido rutas que las atravesaban y unen con los habitantes de ambos lados. Con este camino se quiere recuperar un vínculo de hermandad que ha existido siempre entre la gente de Maçanet de Cabrenys y Reiners, y por extensión a toda la Cataluya del Norte y el Empordà.

A lo largo del camino descubriremos lugares de interés cultural, como el Castillo de Cabrera, el Santuario de las Salinas, la iglesia de Sant Vicent y el Castillo de Reiners, y de interés natural, como los hábitats que atravesaremos. Una escalada biológica que nos llevará a observar una vegetación variada y adaptada a cada altitud, así como una fauna muy característica de estos lugares todavía bastante salvajes. A lo largo del camino se pueden encontrar cabañas de leñador, testigos de la actividad económica que se extendía por toda la montaña.


Viniendo de Reiners, el camino empieza en la Creueta, al pie del Castillo de Reiners, que deja al oeste el Ayuntamiento y al este la iglesia de Sant Vicenç. La encina centenaria de la Creueta nos acoge con su sombra cerca de un prado magnífico donde se puede hacer pic-nic. Pasamos frente a la rectoría y algunas casas para trepar por un sendero que pasa por la fuente de Reiners. Un puente nos permite atravesar la ribera de Llabó. Subiendo llegamos a la Cruz, donde coincidimos con el camino secular de Ceret. Llegamos al vecindario del Roc admirando el antiguo empedrado del sendero y, de allí, a Can Nie. Bajamos para volver a pasar la ribera de Llabó. Caminamos arriba hacia las tierras de las masías medievales del Avellà y el Escarrabill. Tras atravesar la pista que lleva al Mas Patau y a la Muntanyola, llegamos a la Copa, una masía medieval en ruinas. El sendero continúa subiendo y nos encontramos con otro mas de montaña en ruinas, el Mas Nou. Finalmente llegamos a la cresta y seguimos el camino que viene de los Banys d’Arles. Estamos en Pera Bassa, ya a 1000 m de altitud. No dejamos la cresta hasta el Roc de Fraussa. Podemos ascender por el Roc, o sortearlo para ir a la Collada dels Pous, y de allí al Santuario de las Salinas, el Castillo de Cabrera y Maçanet.

El camino de Reiners a Maçanet ya estaba catastrado en Reiners en 1911 como « Chemin vicinal nº 1 », aunque últimamente había perdido su trazado y se utilizaban diferentes variantes para ir hasta el pueblo vecino. Este camino ancestral se convirtió en transfronterizo a partir del Tratado de los Pirineos en 1659, pero se continuó utilizando como siempre para ir a los acopios, a visitar la familia, participar en las fiestas… Y justamente por su carácter transfronterizo, se le fueron añadiendo otros usos como el contrabando, o la fuga en casos de peligro, persecuciones y guerras. El contrabando complementó la economía agrícola y el trabajo en las minas de talco de los habitantes de Reiners y Maçanet hasta mediados del siglo XX.

Historia

El pueblo de Maçanet de Cabrenys

Maçanet de Cabrenys se encuentra en medio de un gran valle a los pies del Macizo de las Salinas, a 370 m de altitud en el extremo noroeste del Alt Empordà. El núcleo urbano nació al abrigo de la iglesia parroquial de San Martín alrededor del siglo XII; ya se tiene constancia de unas casas a su alrededor en el siglo XII, la Cellera. En 1271 formaban el recinto amurallado de la fortaleza y ​​el castillo de forma hexagonal. La rama de los Rocabertí, barones de Cabrenys en el Vallespir, fueron señores del pueblo desde el siglo XIV hasta el XVI, y por eso desde el 1440 aparece el añadido de Cabrenys « Massaneto de Cabrens ». La iglesia es un edificio románico (s. XII-XIII) donde destaca la entrada y los adornos de la puerta. En la plaza del pueblo está el edificio modernista de la Sociedad y en medio se alza el monumento llamado Barra de Rotlan, un palo de hierro de 5 m coronado por una anilla. Una leyenda cuenta que fue el arma del héroe Rotlan que una vez no le fue útil la tiró desde el castillo de Cabrera diciendo: « Allí donde mi vara caerá, Maçanet de Cabrenys, será ». Pero hay muchos indicios de que se trata de una horca de los señores medievales del sitio.

La actividad agrícola y ganadera que se mantenía en las masías del término y la explotación forestal casi ha desaparecido. Del siglo XVII al XIX fueron muy importantes la industria textil y la del hierro. En el siglo XIX también se añadió el corcho para tapones con media docena de fábricas, lo que supuso un aumento demográfico que llegó en 1860 a 1.876 habitantes. También funcionó durante cien años la fabricación de pipas de fumar con una factoría de 60 trabajadores, una de las más importantes del mundo y que se mantuvo hasta hace veinte años. Fue importante la explotación durante un siglo de las minas de talco en la montaña de Las Salinas. En los últimos años, la desaparición de las actividades tradicionales ha concienciado a la población de mejorar la oferta turística con atractivos como el paisaje montañoso, la naturaleza y los bosques bastante conservados, así como su gastronomía.

El pueblo de Reynés

Reiners se encuentra en pleno corazón del Vallespir, a medio camino entre el mar Mediterráneo y el Canigó. El Tec es el gran río comarcal que atraviesa el municipio. A la izquierda, el puente de Reiners es el centro neurálgico actual. Después de un tramo de 3 km de carretera, se llega al pueblo, el centro histórico formado alrededor del castillo, a 250 metros de altitud. Si continuamos subiendo por los caminos y senderos, la montaña alcanza los 1450 m en la frontera con Maçanet de Cabrenys. El rasgo distintivo de Reiners lo forman las masías repartidas por el territorio, algunas en ruinas y otras aún habitados. La economía tradicional ha sido la agricultura, completada por pequeñas industrias rurales. Actualmente, con 1.381 habitantes, el turismo es una fuente de ingresos importante.

Utilizada des de tiempos antiguos, se encuentra la cueva de la Dona, también llamada cueva de las Encantadas. Esta, hoy dentro de una propiedad privada, tiene 12 m de largo, y atraviesa una veta caliza de un extremo al otro. El estudio de esta galería estrecha ha demostrado que se usó para fines sepulcrales durante la edad del cobre, es decir, al final del neolítico, los inicios de la metalurgia (2800 – 2100 aC). Se ha encontrado un botón hecho con hueso, una cantidad considerable de piezas de adorno hechas con conchas, un hacha de piedra verde, una placa de bronce y fragmentos de alfarería. El descubrimiento de objetos de la edad de bronce y de la Antigüedad demuestra que la cueva también se frecuentó durante estos periodos y que las sepulturas se extendieron a lo largo de miles de años. En la cueva de la Font Calda, situada en el suroeste del pueblo, también se hizo un descubrimiento similar.

Así pues, la actividad metalúrgica es uno de los rasgos diferenciadores del territorio de Reiners desde hace miles de años. Las primeras técnicas para producir hierro consistían en la creación de un bajo horno. Se trata de un horno de arcilla donde se mezclaba el carbón y el mineral, a fin de sacar una masa metálica llamada mena. A partir de esta mena depurada se extraía el lingote de hierro. Este método se ha utilizado desde el comienzo de la edad de hierro hasta el siglo XIV. Sin embargo, la imposibilidad de reutilizar la escoria, ya que es excesivamente silícea, generaba grandes pérdidas. Es habitual encontrar estas escorias (restos metálicos negros y lisas) por las montañas que rodean el pueblo.

El sendero pasa por un pozo de nieve de dimensiones imponentes un poco antes del Roc de Fraussa. El uso del hielo se generalizó entre los siglos XVI y XIX en diferentes ámbitos como la medicina o para la conservación de alimentos o la elaboración de postres. La nieve se compactaba para convertirla en hielo. Los pozos se construían con cuidado para favorecer el aislamiento térmico y normalmente se cubrían con una cúpula agujereada con una abertura de recarga orientada al norte. En los Pirineos Orientales se han registrado más de cien obras de este tipo. El hielo se transportaba a los pueblos y hospitales en primavera para venderlo. Esta actividad, que suponía una fuente importante de ingresos extraordinarios para sus habitantes, mermó a partir de la segunda mitad del siglo XIX, con el desarrollo de la fabricación artificial de hielo, hasta desaparecer por completo a principios de la I Guerra mundial.

El castillo de Reynés

La primera referencia al castillo de Reiners data del siglo XII. No hay ninguna duda de que a partir de este periodo se vincula con una sagrera o cellera, es decir, un espacio fortificado donde según un texto del siglo XV había tres puertas y, como mínimo, una torre. Probablemente la iglesia de Sant Vicenç, mencionada desde el año 1027, también se encontraba en este lugar. En el siglo XII, la familia señorial de Reiners estaba bajo la autoridad de los señores de Serrallonga, una familia poderosa del Alt Vallespir. El año 1.267, antes de irse a la Octava Cruzada, de la que no volverá, Bernard-Hug de Serrallonga cedió el castillo a su mujer Gueralda. Después el castillo pasó a depender de los Rocaberti a través de Beatriu de Serralonga, esposa del vizconde Rocabertí. Esta familia gobernaba, entre otros, en Maçanet de Cabrenys, y ocupaban posiciones importantes en la corte de los condes-rey de Barcelona.

Actualmente, la ubicación del castillo puede parecer extravagante, pero en realidad se encontraba en el centro de un terreno explotado con gran eficacia. Estaba situado estratégicamente entre las canteras de extracción de mineral de hierro y los talleres de forja. También vigilaba los itinerarios de pasto que llegaban a las cumbres de la Albera.

Los vestigios de la fortificación forman un cuadrilátero trapezoidal de 140 m² aproximadamente, situado en la cima de la colina con vistas al pueblo. En el centro de la plataforma se encuentra el actual depósito de agua de Reiners. El muro occidental, que mide 17 metros de largo con una altura aproximada de 4 m, es el que mejor se conserva. Se encuentran algunos agujeros que podían ser aspilleras. Los estudios arqueológicos del año 2018 han puesto de manifiesto diferentes fases de construcción consecutivas, además de la presencia de paredes de carga y de suelos medievales soterrados.

También se han hecho estudios en el lugar donde se suponía que estava la iglesia, aunque no se ha podido confirmar el uso religioso del espacio. El edificio se encuentra a un nivel inferior del castillo y se erige como un espacio cuadrangular de 6 x 5 m delimitado al oeste por un muro rocoso cortado verticalmente y, por los otros lados, por muros bajos muy nivelados. Se han descubierto los restos de pavimento que cubría una capa más antigua donde se ha encontrado una moneda extraña de Girard I, conde de Roselló, de principios del siglo XII. La iglesia actual es del siglo XVII y alberga un magnífico retablo barroco.

El Castillo de Cabrera

En documentos de los años 1003; 1074 y 1095 se cita la Roca de Cabrera. Pero la primera mención del castillo lo encontramos en 1098, en el Libro Grande de los Feudos: Guillem Bernat, hijo de dona Arsendis, prestó juramento por el castillo de Cabrera a Bernat II, conde de Besalú « castrum de Cabrera cum sua te cum omnibus pertinenciis ». La propiedad del castillo iba aparejada con el de Maçanet, en 1221 pertenecía a Beatriu d’Hortal y en 1275 a su hijo Mascarós.

El 1288 el castillo fue tomado y destruido por el ejército francés. En 1330, Simó de Cabrera vendió el castillo y la señoría de Maçanet a Beatriu de Cabrenys, señora de Cabrenys, Serrallonga y Reiners, entonces hizo reconstruir las murallas y los tejados de la fortaleza. En 1344, el hijo Guillem Galceran de Rocabertí, se hizo cargo del castillo y en los capbreus siempre figura que es señor de Cabrera. En 1462 los franceses se apoderaron del castillo donde establecieron una guarnición de 15 hombres bajo el mando de un capitán llamado Martin Durcayo. El 1497, vivía en él un responsable de la fortaleza Jaume Olivet, bajo las órdenes de Pere de Rocabertí, barón de Cabrenys; sucesivamente por herencia la propiedad pasó a las familias Paguera y Sorribes, y en 1689 el edificio ya consta como derruido.

El edificio se encuentra encima de un peñasco a 852 metros de altura, sólo accesible por la parte norte. Ocupaba toda la cumbre y eso lo convertía en una magnífica atalaya, tenía una extensión de 189 metros cuadrados y un perímetro de 76 metros. Los últimos restos de la fortaleza se levantan al borde de los acantilados, y se reducen a una cisterna, la base de una torre cuadrada y algunos muros de 2 metros de altura. La construcción se puede datar de los siglos XI-XIV y formaba parte de la red fronteriza del condado de Besalú.

El Santuario de las Salinas

El nombre de Salinas se refiere a que en este lugar se daba sal al ganado de pastoreo. Los pobladores de Maçanet de Cabrenys en 1271 construyeron una capilla a la Virgen porque « se obraban muchos milagros ». El 1275 fue instituido un cura y más tarde, un ermitaño. Entonces se convirtió en un lugar de romería para los pobladores de ambos lados. La tradición dice que la antigua imagen de la virgen fue encontrada por unos pastores y un toro en la cueva cercana. La imagen del siglo XIX era obra del escultor local José Verdaguer, desgraciadamente la robaron el año 2011. La actual es una imitación de la anterior.

El edificio actual formado por la capilla, la hospedería y el refugio corresponde a unas reformas hechas entre los siglos XVII y XX. Cerca del santuario está la Font de la Cova y la dels Tres Raigs

En las Salinas se hacen dos encuentros festivos: el de Sant Isidre, el 15 de mayo o el domingo más cercano, y el de la Virgen, el primer domingo de agosto.

La Collada dels Pous

Este cuello fronterizo situado 1239 m de altitud se forma entre el Roc de la Graula (1288 m) y la cima del Moixer Gros (1412 m). Separa los términos de Maçanet de Cabrenys y Ceret y por ahí atraviesa el camino que lleva de Maçanet de Cabrenys a Reiners y Ceret muy transitado desde siglos por los caminantes, pastores, comerciantes y contrabandistas de ambas vertientes.

El nombre de Collada dels Pous o de los Pozos se debe a dos razones. Una porque aquí pasaba el camino que subía hacia los tres pozos de la nieve del Común de Maçanet, que se encuentran a unos 400 metros a poniente por encima de la Font del Moixer, hoy sólo se conservan los restos de un pozo. Y la otra, porque a unos 200 metros por el lado norte está el pozo del Común de Ceret, todavia bastante conservado, cerca del camino que nos lleva a Fontfreda. En estos pozos, que datan del siglo XVII, se depositaba la nieve en invierno para conservarla y consumirla en verano, para refrescar bebidas, para usos terapéuticos y para abastecer las principales villas del Empordà y Ceret . Funcionaron durante dos siglos. En 1969 llegó a la collada la carretera apta para todoterrenos que comunica el Alt Empordà y el Vallespir.

Biodiversidad


Hábitats
Las Salinas, junto con su parte hermana en la vertiente norte, es una zona que queda fuera de las rutas más frecuentadas por los naturalistas y amantes de los espacios naturales bien conservados, pero esto le aporta una tranquilidad deseada y difícil de encontrar en otros espacios. Además se pueden descubrir toda una serie de hábitats variados, y bien conservados, desde los de tipo más forestal, hasta los de zonas más abiertas, arbustivas o tapizadas de hierbas, junto con su fauna particular. Todos estos elementos en conjunto, se convierten en los ingredientes ideales para desear visitarla y aprender mientras caminamos. Y es que poca gente se puede imaginar que en este pequeño rincón de los Pirineos se reúnan una variedad tan interesante de vegetación, desde bosques de tipo mediterráneo hasta formaciones más húmedas en su parte alta. Pero esto es lo que nos dan las montañas, viajes vegetales. Las diferentes alturas hacen que la vegetación imperante sea tan variada, como si atravesáramos Europa hacia el norte, donde los diferentes climas condicionan el tipo de vegetación que se desarrolla.

Si nos situamos en la parte baja de la vertiente sur, el tipo de bosque que encontramos en el inicio de la ruta, es el alcornocal. Estos bosques tienen como árbol dominante el corcho (Quercus suber), muy parecido a la encina (Quercus ilex), pero con una copa más rala y la corteza recubierta de corcho. Ambos árboles comparten especies características, pero el aprovechamiento del corcho, que lleva a desbroces y aclaradas, junto con una copa que deja entrar más la luz del sol, ha hecho que su hábitat se diferencie claramente. A un poco más de altura en algunos puntos, pero compartiendo territorio con el alcornocal, encontramos el encinar de montaña. Tiene una distribución amplia, ya que tanto la encontramos en la vertiente sur como en la norte, al inicio del camino desde Reiners. Bosque perennifolio del que disfrutamos una imagen siempre verde, con hojas pequeñas y endurecidas, al igual que los alcornocales. Paisajísticamente aporta un estrato arbóreo continuo con grandes masas y con mucha sombra. No coge grandes alturas, de 5-12 m. El sotobosque está compuesto por arbustos y herbáceas adaptadas a condiciones de mucha sombra.

Subiendo más, encontramos los pinares de pino rojo (Pinus sylvestris). Es un tipo de pinar de carácter boreal, comparables a las que se pueden encontrar en los valles interiores secos de los Alpes. Los árboles presentan unas alturas moderadas, entre los 8 y 10 metros. Suele formar un bosque de manera continua que cubre maquias y matorrales, o incluso encinares que presentan alturas muy bajas. Continuando con los pinos, en las partes más altas tenemos algunas zonas con pinares de pino marítimo (Pinus pinaster). Este es un tipo de bosque claramente mediterráneo, así que juega inequívocamente un papel secundario. Suele ocupar territorios con presencia de brezos y jaras, donde forma masas más o menos importantes. Parece ser que con el tiempo las zonas arboladas con pino marítimo evolucionan hacia landas arboladas con pino rojo. Por otro lado, también encontramos que ha sido una especie muy utilizada, al igual que el laricio (Pinus nigra), para repoblar zonas degradadas o que han sufrido un fuerte aprovechamiento. No tiene una gran diversidad florística, el sotobosque suele estar desnudo, y tan sólo encontramos algunas hierbas dispersas. Otro hábitat presente dentro del grupo de las pináceas es el bosque de pino negro (Pinus uncicata). Éste ya lo encontramos en la parte alta del macizo, y no es muy abundante. Son bosques adaptados a vivir en ambientes fríos, poco o muy abiertos. Tiene una gran importancia en el paisaje y representan una comunidad permanente.


Situada ya en el lado norte del camino, de bajada hacia Reiners si hacemos el camino de sur a norte, encontramos laderas de montaña con abetos (Abies alba). Son bosques donde reina la penumbra y la humedad, gracias a la sombra que generan las ramas planas del abeto y las hojas oscuras. Son árboles altos, que pueden ir desde los 15 a los 50 metros. El sotobosque suele estar cubierto por plantas herbáceas y musgos. El suelo es profundo y con mucho humus, y mantienen un grado de humedad importante a lo largo del año.


En cuanto a las fagáceas, encontramos el robledal de roble pubescente (Quercus humilis). Es un tipo de bosque no muy alto, de los 6 a los 20 metros. Aunque predomina el roble, podemos encontrar otros árboles como el pino rojo, o el abedul (Betula pendula). Lo encontramos entre los 500 y los 1200 m, sobre suelos con poca pendiente. Suelen tener un aspecto ralo, debido a la fuerte explotación a que han sido sometidos.

Relacionada con la familia de los robles, encontramos los castañares (Castanea sativa). El castaño no es un árbol original de nuestra región. Es originario del oriente mediterráneo, aunque ya se considera parte de nuestro paisaje forestal. En un primer momento fueron plantados por el hombre, para el aprovechamiento de la madera y el fruto, y sustituyeron las comunidades forestales previas. Forman bosques densos con un sotobosque variado, han sido fuertemente explotados. Otro hábitat dentro de la familia de las fagáceas que podemos encontrar tanto en el lado norte como la sur de la ruta, y ya a las partes más altas, es el hayedo. Bosque caducifolio, donde las hayas (Fagus silvatica) forman una copa alta y densa que aporta un ambiente de penumbra y frescor, con un sotobosque vacío, no más allá de una alfombra de hierbas, debido a esta falta de luz. En nuestras latitudes se encuentra en una situación marginal, al ser muy al sur de su distribución general.

Otros hábitats a destacar, pero que tienen una presencia reducida, serían las fresnedas, las alisedas y las landas de hiniesta. Las primeras agrupan una serie de especies caducifolias montanas, entre ellas el fresno (Fraxinus excelsior), donde el avellano (Corylus avellana) y el boj (Buxus sempervirens) está muy presente. El bajo bosque suele estar compuesto de especies habituales de los hayedos y robledales, comunidades con las que el avellano está en contacto y se combina. Muchas veces podemos encontrar mezcla de otros caducifolios como los abedules (Betula pendula), castaño (Castanea sativa), álamos (Populus tremula) y robles (Quercus sp). En cuanto a las alisedas, este tipo de bosque hunde sus raíces arras del agua en ríos y arroyos con caudal superficial continuo, pero sin estar expuestos a las inundaciones. Llega hasta alturas importantes de 6-15 m, donde el árbol dominante es el aliso (Alnus glutinosa), el estrato arbustivo es reducido, pero abundan las herbáceas que florecen en primavera. Muchas de las especies herbáceas de los alrededores son propias de los hayedos y los robledales. Estas especies van acompañadas de otros árboles como el fresno. Las landas de hiniesta (Sarothamnus scoparius), es un matorral denso, y de difícil penetración, que puede llegar a los 2 metros de altura. Se extiende por las partes más altas del macizo en zonas sin presencia arbolada. Su floración puede ser espectacular al quedar cubierta de flores bien amarillas.

Fauna
Una vez conocemos los hábitats más destacados que podemos encontrar a lo largo de la ruta, debemos destacar las especies que podemos llegar a ver, siempre y cuando caminemos bien atentos y expectantes a los regalos que la naturaleza nos puede ofrecer. Dentro del hábitat de los encinares situados en las dos veritentes, los mamíferos más destacables que podemos encontrar son la gineta (Genetta genetta), el jabalí (Sus scrofa), el zorro (Vulpes vulpes) y el tejón (Meles meles). Entre las aves destacan el pico picapinos (Dendrocopos major), el trepador azul (Sitta europaea), el arrendajo (Garrulus glandarius), el herrerillo capuchino (Lophophanes cristatus), el chochín (Troglodytes troglodytes) y el agateador (Certhia brachydactyla). La serpiente verde (Malpolon monspessulanus) es una de las especies que habita esta región más mediterránea. Al ir haciendo camino desde Maçanet de Cabrenys, y ganando altura, las comunidades vegetales van cambiando, y una vez en las Salinas ya empiezan a aparecer las hayas, así como diferentes plantaciones de pinos. Aquí nos encontramos cerca de los 1100 m y la tranquilidad está presente. Entre los mamíferos, destacan la garduña (Martes foina), el corzo (Capreolus capreolus), una buena población de ardillas (Sciurus vulgaris), y varias especies de murciélagos cavernícolas que nidifican en el refugio de murciélagos. En cuanto a los pájaros, encontramos especies como el camachuelo común (Pyrrhula pyrrhula), el pito negro (Dryocopus martrius), el cuco (Cuculus canorus), el gavilán (Accipiter nisus) o el carbonero garrapinos (Periparus ater). Entre los anfibios destaca la salamandra (Salamandra salamandra), y entre los reptiles encontramos la culebra lisa europea (Coronella austriaca) y el lagarto verde occidental (Lacerta bilineata).


Ya en la zona de la Collada dels Pous, el haya es la especie que domina por el lado sur. Una vez empezamos a bajar por la vertiente norte, el haya nos continuará acompañando, junto con alguna abetar. Estas regiones más altas, se han convertido en un buen refugio para la fauna, aquí encontramos especies difíciles de ver en los lugares más humanizados, o que tienen una distribución reducida en el territorio, como es el gato montés (Felis silvestris), la marta (Martes martes) o el muflón (Ovis musimon). Algunos ejemplares de Rebeco (Rupicapra pyrenaica) o de ciervo (Cervus elaphus) también han sido vistos por la zona. Entre las aves destaca el acentor común (Prunella modularis), el escribano montesino (Emberiza cia), el roquero rojo (Monticola saxatilis) o el cuervo (Corvus corax). La lagartija roquera (Podarcis muralis) sería uno de los reptiles interesantes que encontramos por los roquedos.

Geología

Desde Reiners hasta Maçanet de Cabrenys, el camino pasa por varias formaciones geológicas relacionadas con la cadena axial del Pirineo: al principio estamos en la depresión de Reiners que se encuentra en los terrenos secundarios del sinclinal de Amelie, constituidos de calizas, margas, gres y yesos. Estos terrenos están limitados por dos fallas importantes, del Piamonte y de los Pirineos. Después el sendero sube por micaesquistos con intercalaciones carbonatadas de cornubianita: los mármoles del Mas Querol, blancos con venas grises. La parte axial de la cadena del Roc de Fraussa está formada por gneis. Más allá, el camino vuelve a atravesar los micaesquistos que también contienen localmente mármol. El pueblo de Maçanet de Cabrenys está situado sobre terreno granítico y arenisca.

Sobre el proyecto

El proyecto de cooperación de El Camino de Reiners a Maçanet de Cabrenys « De Castillo a Castillo » es una iniciativa de los ayuntamientos de Reiners y de Maçanet de Cabrenys, con las Ayudas del Eurodistrito para el Espacio Catalán Transfronterizo de la Generalidad de Cataluña (Casa de Perpiñán), y del Departamento de los Pirineos Orientales. Han colaborado en el proyecto Pere Roura Sabà, en la redacción de los contenidos históricos y los dibujos del castillo de Cabrera, Serge Arnaudiès, Jacques Baylard, Montserrat Cailà, Daniel Canet, Dikki Caritg, Jean-Paul Escudero, Jean Le Guillou, Jean Le Potier, Magali Mas-Ferrari, Charles Novero, Jean Jacques Serra y Jacques Sicre de la Comisión Caminos y Patrimonio de Reiners, Christian Solà por la geología, Etienne Roudier y David Maso por el estudio de arqueología de Reiners, Neus Oliver en el diseño gráfico y Sara Davis en las traducciones. Xavier Soler, Marcel Gutinell y Estel Turbau en el estudio territorial, fauna y flora. Joseph Hiard del Grupo Ornitológico del Rosellón, y Marcel Juanchich por los estudios de naturaleza.

A todos ellos muchas gracias. Gracias también a la Communauté de Communes du Vallespir, al Comité Départemental de la Randonnée Pédestre des Pyrénées-Orientales, a l’ACCA de Reynés y a los propietarios correspondientes.

Haut de la page
46af5805735c236d9201fef091c9da39rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr